Today I read this article about an interview where Pope Francis shared his 10 tips for happiness.
Trust this list, because this is the face of a man who knows happy:
Below are The Pope’s ten tips translated from Spanish by the Catholic News Service (and copied from the article above).
1. “Live and let live.”
2. “Be giving of yourself to others.”
3. “Proceed calmly” in life.
4. Have “a healthy sense of leisure.”
5. “Sunday is for family.”
6. Be “creative” with young people and find innovative ways to create dignified jobs.
7. Respect and take care of nature.
8. Stop being negative. “Letting go of negative things quickly is healthy,” he said.
9. “The worst thing of all is religious proselytism, which paralyzes.”
10. Work for peace. “We are living in a time of many wars,” he said. “The call for peace must be shouted.”
I think this is a perfect list, one that transcends any religion, any lifestyle. Sure, No.5 can be pretty Christian, but change your Sunday to Saturday or Friday or whatever, and remember the important thing is to designate time for family.
No.4 is definitely my favorite. Not because I’m particularly lazy or adept at free time (remember those few years where I worked full-time and nights and weekends?,) but because I do think that one in particular is imperative to accomplishing all other things on the list. Take some time to enjoy life and you can sure do a lot of good with the sense of contentment, happiness, etc. that go with taking a break for leisure.